Labels

Sunday 1 December 2019

Wednesday, 8 December 2010


I remember you...

I remember you.
I loved you so much.
Yours was a ready smile, dimpled cheeks, 
lovely teeth on a chocolate coloured face.
I remember the smile.
You loved me, you were my friend, 
you were everybody's friend.


Though I didn't see the pain of the final months and days, I did spend time with you when you asked me to visit you. You tried to tell me that something was wrong, that all was not well, that you didn't sleep much, that you were worried,
and I put no mind to it.
I didn't know.
I'm so sorry.

And I still didn't know as I stood by you, 
on that ICU bed,
listening to the iron lung breathing for you, 
that this was the end.

I cried for you then,
I cry for you now as I write this,
and I remember you.

I went home and told your sister
I didn't think you were well at all.
She came to you immediately.
You were waiting for her,
And you left for heaven,
as soon as she got to your bedside.

Heaven cried for you the day we buried you.
We all cried for you.
It was the most painful goodbye
I had experienced then.
I didn't know you were leaving...

But it's ok.
You are with God now.
Happy forever more.

I painted something for you, two years later, on your anniversary even. I had kept the blank canvas, knowing I had to paint something, but nothing came to me. Then on the 8/12/2002, I sketched an angel, a bird, and painted it for a few more days.
I have it hanging in my corridor,
and tell everybody who cares to know, 
that I painted it for you,
on the day you left,
two years later.

I have your round pot that I took,
from outside your house after the funeral.
I had to have something of yours to hold on to...
I look at every day as I brush my teeth.
It's broken and stuck together,
beautiful,
interesting; a story.
Much like your life...I think.
At least from the little I have gathered of it...

Ten years later, I remember you always...
Through your children.
Through my memories of you.
You will always be special.
I'll love you always.
Rest in peace.

I still remember you,
19 years later...
You are in great company.
Rest.

1 December 2019