Labels

Wednesday 8 July 2015

Of handcuffs and the slow arm of the law...

I slid down the column and sat on my heels. The seat that I had taken two steps towards was quickly occupied by the man. He did not even bother to take look in my direction, but then competition for the seats was high...There were six seats for the close to 30 or so people standing around in the corridor or jostling at the door held slightly open by the court bailiff.
I had walked in circles to find this court number 9. I found 7 and 8, then turned a corner and came to a dead end.

'It's in that direction,' said the cleaner I asked first. I shouldn't have bothered him. All the court room floors in this building are identical...


My knees are complaining. I should probably stand up now, but No! Let me finish telling you about my first day hanging out in the corridors of justice.


The policeman walking towards me had a smile in his eyes...Nah. I won't ask him... Then some guy with files stopped at my 'excuse me!' And told me the court was in yet another direction. There were people...this must be the right way. Yes it was...'Nenda hapo kwenye unaona watu kwa mlango'.
Bingo!

The fine was 500 bob. ONLY.
For crossing the road at un-designated areas. Strange, we have crossed the road at this spot each day since January and even yesterday. Designated areas? Really? Never mind that the newly re-carpeted roads bear no zebra crossings because we really must get our act together for President Cousin Obama's visit.
Oh! And I had to leave my steaming cup of Savannah Dawa at the luggage deposit because this was not going to be a social call, now was it?


Can you hear my squoks? They are rather loudly complaining now. Somebody help me up...


The bailiff is now standing in front of the open door. Why was he refusing in the first place? Who in their right mind would be fighting to get into a court room in the first place?


Now, the trick is to strategically get up, leaning on this same column I slid down to get to this point, without making faces...


Whah.
My leg feels cold and has pins and needles! Never again. I can't even take a step to help the blood circulate because I surely cut it off with that squat. I am so sure I will hobble! Yaani my legs have decided to start acting older than their age! Wachana na the grey that is speedily popping up on my forehead and temples.

('Ni mafuta'. I am told...it's my genes I am sure. Have you met my dad?)

The charge was 500 bob. I've handed over 1500. The door swings shut (I'm guessing it's so that the process continues (swiftly I hope, but I doubt it...) and then all is quiet but for the cries and gurgles of a baby and the whisperings of the others waiting with me.

Now why didn't I re-charge the Tab last night?
It's gonna be a long, long morning...this is the punishment, the amount of time wasted, not the fine.

Let me take a walk.