Labels

Monday 25 July 2011

What a terrible thing...

I hold my chubby 3 month old  in my arms, her eyes pure and white, her cheeks shiny and round. I look up to the TV, towards the sound of a child crying...the news anchor had warned that the images 'could be disturbing...There's a child sitting on her mother's lap, hanging limp from her mouth, is her mama's breast...she is so weak, sucking those few drops of milk will take more energy than she has...
As I write this, I hold my baby to my breast. They are swollen full of milk. My feezer is full of milk as well...What a terrible thing, to have so much when there are children dying in this country,with nothing to fill their stomachs with. '...the last relief food came 4 months ago...' they report.
The world is alarmed at the hunger 'scandal' going on in Kenya! How telling that despite the many months the media has highlighted this issue, it is still not a priority for the government even as organisations such as the Red Cross are in the media calling out for help for the children who are dying each day.
Surely! How much more desperate does the government want this to get? This is murder, plain and simple.
So what are you going to do about this?